Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Home Depot Debacle

So My quest to find the materials and make a cheapo but stylish mirror started on Tuesday. I headed over to home depot with a print out of the materials I needed. I found this original idea on Home Depots OWN WEBSITE mind you. The materials that were listed were in stock pine scrollwork, clear silicone, and a mirror.



So into Home Depot I went back to the wood trim and molding section . After not seeing any scrollwork there I went to the Door and Window counter to ask about where to find it. After the employee walked up and down the same isles I did he looked at me and said “Hmm we must not have any.” This is how the following conversation went:

Me: Well, I found this tutorial on your website. (Showed him the picture) It says that it is in-stock pine scrollwork.
HD guy: What’s a tutorial?
Me: Um, it’s like directions on how to make something.
HD: Oh, like a project?
Me: Yes
HD: So you said you found this on our website huh?
Me: Yes
HD: Where at on our website?
Me: Under the DIY section
HD: What’s DIY??
Me: Do it yourself
HD: Ohhh ok.
Me: Do you know if you carry these online and maybe I could purchase them online?
HD: Maybe, you could probably get online and check when you got home.
Me: Ok, so you don’t have a computer here where you could do that for me since I don’t really know what I’m looking for?
HD: Yea, I guess I could
*This is where I should have just turned around and walked out of the store and threw my dreams away of a cheap DIY mirror!
HD: (After looking several minutes on their website) I don’t see anything like that on our website. What type of wood did you say it was made out of?
Me: Pine
HD: You or your husband doesn’t happen to be a whittler?
Me: You mean someone who carves wood?
HD: Yes. Because if you were this project would be very easy. I can show you where our jigsaws are and you could use that to make these.
Me: Since my husband and I are not whittlers what would you suggest I do to make this project?
HD: Find someone who is.
And at that I turned around and walked away. Sad and upset that I did not have the whittling skills I needed to create this project. I have also vowed to never return to Home Depot again, I am now scorned. I’ve always been a Lowe’s girl anyway, I feel more at home there. They also know who I am…no joke. These guys in the lumber and paint section know my name because Cody and I basically go there every weekend for something.  I feel like there is a silent debate on this. Home Depot or Lowes. Choose your poison…which is it?

1 comment:

  1. haha! this made me lol! I mean of course you know how to whittle your own wood. I mean who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete