Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A tree, a movie, and a gun


I am pretty big on traditions, especially around the holidays. When I was little on Christmas Eve we would drive through the festival of lights every year as a family. Its a pretty cheesy adventure but a tradition so it doesn't matter. Another tradition is watching the movie White Christmas while putting up the Christmas tree.

So last weekend I popped in the movie and began the decorating. Our Christmas tree is obviously tall and skinny, kind of like what I wished my body type was!! our first place was super small so we needed a tree that was skinny. It actually looked big in our old place. I am hoping to find some good sales this year on trees once Christmas is over! I wanted a different color scheme this year so I ended up making quite a few ornaments. But let me back up. I had seen a picture on pinterest of a ruffle tree skirt. So I wanted to make that first.


Be warned...it will take you hours...like 5 or 6. And you will burn your little fingers off with the glue gun and your hand will cramp from holding the gun for that long. But you have no choice because ruffles are a must and they are fabulous. It is a super cheap project too. I bought a $4.00 drop cloth at Walmart to use as the skirt part then I got 3 yards of a white cotton fabric. I think it all cost me less then $10.



And because I wasn't sick of using the glue gun yet I decided to use it again but this time on ornaments! I had seen this picture on pinterest and loved the idea.



I just punched out a bunch of circles and glued them on clear ornaments. I started at the bottom and worked my way up to the top. I bought a few sheets of scrapbook paper in a navy glitter and a gingham. I think they are my favorite ornaments on the tree.



For the other ornaments I made all I did was buy some craft paint and clear ornaments. I squeezed in the paint and added a little bit of water and swished it around on the inside until it covered everything then let them dry overnight. I picked up a creamy Orange, a coral and navy craft paint. I wanted some unexpected and fun colors!





The rest of the ornaments and garland I either had or picked up this year. I really liked how it turned out.











 


1 comment:

  1. Grandma and I think your tree looks awesome. You are one creative girl! There is no end to what you can do with a glue gun. We enjoy checking in every week to see what is happening and what you are up to...you never disappoint! Have a great Christmas season and enjoy this special house that you have definitely made a home. Love ya, Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete