Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mrs. Hubbards Cupboards

Was that a children's story or nursery rhyme? I cant remember...maybe it was neither. I think it is about time to show you the progress we have been  making on our sun room. We started with the room looking like this...

all we did for a while was put up the drywall once we got rid of the paneling and that awkward window. Then we took a long extended break because I couldn't pick out a paint color. Well I finally did. It is Moonshine by Benjamin Moore, and I love it. Once the room was painted we put in the baseboard. We had to buy baseboard and shoe moulding for this room. If we would have just left the baseboard as is you would be able to see a gap between the wood floor and drywall.


So with the baseboard in, we focused our attention to creating a built in look with cabinets. When we looked at this house I saw this room and thought that a window bench/nook with a table would be perfect in the corner. Here were some of my inspirations images all found via pinterest.




I wanted that built in look of cabinets to look like it fit the space and was meant to be there but with room to add a small round table and plenty of pillows for a comfy vibe. I had been searching for something to work in that space for awhile. I tried Ikea, Lowes, and Menards and even thought about building something ourselves. Nothing I found seemed to be exactly right. We were either going to have to take apart something we bought to fit the space or spend a few hundred dollars on cabinets from Lowes. I didn't love either option. So one Saturday morning after a 2 hour long trip to Bass Pro, Cody and I stopped by Builders Warehouse. For those that don't live in the area it is located downtown Peoria in an old warehouse. It has five floors of home remodeling things at super discounted prices. Well, the fourth floor was the gold mine. It was full of unfinished oak cabinets in a variety of sizes. Score! We tried a few layouts with the different sizes of cabinets in the store and found 3 that would work perfectly. Our total came to $116  for all three cabinets.
This is what they looked like unfinished. I forgot to take a picture of all three of them before because I was too excited to get started on painting them. I did a coat of primer then two coats of white paint, the same paint we used on the baseboards.



We ended up take one of the doors off and covering the small opening with a piece of wood for a seamless look. This was before we added any of the molding.



You can see how we brought the baseboard around on the sides and the shoe molding around the whole front of the cabinets. I think that's what makes it look like a custom built in piece.




Lastly all we did was cut a piece of plywood for the top. That will get painted white and we still have a few more pieces of trim to add to cover up the front of the plywood and the corners. That fabric sample is what I am using to make the cushions out of! Here's a better picture of it.
Oh la la! I know this fabric is not every ones cup of tea but I love it! I love all the colors that it has. For curtains I am doing a navy and white strip with a two inch coral band around the edge.

And, I finally refinished a dresser I bought for $15 from the Habitat for Humanity Store. Here is what it looks like now. We are trying to decide what to do with the drawers. We don't know if we should stencil them with a fun pattern or add some lines like I made with the painters tape.


 Here is what it looked like before...

The drawers I painted white and everything else is navy. This is probably what the color really looks like...




So that's where were at. Any suggestions on what we should do with those drawers? Boxes, a pattern, stripes, or paint them navy too?? To many options and I have such commitment issues making paint decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment