Monday, August 22, 2011

Current affairs and guest room plans

I figured since were already working on about 1,000 other projects it’s time to start a new one! For anyone that cares here is what we are currently working on, bullet point style:

  • Painting our front door a fun new color
  • Painting all the brick on the outside of the house
  • Finishing up the siding
  • Planting sod
  • Landscaping front yard
  • Trying to pick a paint color for our family room/sunroom
  • DIYing a new mirror for the entry way(I found a new idea I love even more and this one’s cheaper!)
  • Hanging lights in the hallway
  • Creating a gallery wall in the hallway
Those are just to name a few…

So with all the elves running around finishing up those projects for us I thought we might as well move onto the guest room. This was my thought process for choosing to do this room next. This will eventually be a nursery when we have kids. Therefore we are not going to be spending very much money in here in terms of furniture/décor items since this room could change its function in a year or two. As much as I think the bed is too big for the room I don’t want to spend the money on a new one or even a new headboard. I am trying to work with what I got people! So here is my crazy mock up of what it will look like.
Ok let me break it down for you. The dark teal color is what I am going to paint the headboard and footboard. The colorful shams I have and they are from pottery barn. That is where I am pulling all my colors from. The yellow pillows I have and I think I may sew a fun green pom-pom accent pillow. I wanted to keep all the bedding white since I am doing some crazy colors everywhere else. All I need to pick up is a ruffled bed skirt.  The one thing I did want to buy was a new side table. I wanted something with open shelving in a fun color and something that I could potentially use in the future. Enter Pottery Barn Teen. That’s where that cute blue nightstand is from! Since the room doesn’t have an overhead light I wanted to add some sconces on either side of the bed for more light. These are plug-in sconces that I found on sale for $39 a piece. The green little shelf is from Home Decorators collection. They come in just about every color imaginable and in different sizes too. I wanted to add some storage to the room and this will work out perfect. Right now they are on sale for under $40 plus I have $10 off coupon.
As far as curtains and blinds go, this room gets a ton of light in the mornings so I want something that will block that out and maybe some kind of fun print curtains. But before we do all that….we still have to get all the wallpaper off the walls and get new carpet! Just a minor detail. I think the worst part will be moving the furniture out of the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment